Friday, September 9, 2011

Up and Running, Three More Days To Go Until Staging

So two things are up and running three days before Peace Corps staging in Philadelphia: my first blog (hey everyone!) and me--literally--as I rush to finalize packing, last-minute paperwork and spending time with family before the big day. After this summer, I've come to love and hate my suitcases as they have been my companions on much-needed and appreciated visits with family members and will now be packed once more as I prepare to leave for Rwanda on the 15th.

How do I feel about leaving for Rwanda for 2 years and 3 months? Great! But also: anxious, nervous, unsure, a bit scared. These feelings are not unusual for me. I went through them before when I spent my summer before senior year of high school in Thailand. I know these are normal feelings to have before having a completely brand-new experience.

But--this is just not just a brand-new experience. I'm going to Rwanda with the Peace Corps to try my hand at sustainable development in a fascinating country that has a mountain of catastrophic history it is currently climbing over. A piece of history that I've studied in college but never thought I'd have a chance to relate to first-hand. I'm sure as I get to meet, know and befriend the people of Rwanda, there will inevitably be a mixed-bag of experiences that I have relating to the genocide of 1994.  For now, I'm ready--but this might change with the first experience. I found out today that during the first week of training, Peace Corps trainees (PCTs) are taken to a genocide memorial in Kigali, where bodies are displayed and preserved from how they were found in the building after the genocide. Previous trainees have taken this visit well--others not so much.

Overall, I'm ready to go to Rwanda. My family also seems ready for me to go to Rwanda (and are already ready to visit)! They've already planned an early 2013 trip. Hint, hint to my friends out there. I've posted all of my contact information in the Contact Me/Mail Section so that you know how to reach me during my post. I'll be looking forward to your letters,emails, calls, care packages...

#watching: Y Tu Mama Tambien

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck Janay!! I really admire you for going on such an amazing journey. Looking forward to your updates -- and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live and Learn...and find the small joy in the things you do...Love MOM

    ReplyDelete