Monday, September 26, 2011

Komera, Komera (Be Strong, Be Strong)

As we landed in Kigali around nighttime, I thought about what it felt like to be in Africa for the first time.  It was surreal. As I stepped off of the plane, the air was warm  and the ground dewy. It was raining and we took a small transit bus from the tarmac to the airport. We grabbed our luggage, packed them into the Peace Corps vans, and headed off to the Peace Corps Case de Passage.  It was a three story office/housing hostel for volunteers when they come into Kigali.  

We were greeted by Gordy, the assistant country program director, and Moop, the program trainee manager, who welcomed us to Rwanda and talked to us about Peace Corps and what we would expect for the three months of training. After we all took our beds, we hung out a little and then went to sleep. In Kigali, we took two days to take care of official business (debit cards, identification cards, bi-weekly allowance, bike fittings, etc.) 

On Sunday, we went to Kamonyi District, in the Southern Province and started official training followed by meeting our host families.  Everybody had jitters about meeting their homestay families—including me. My family is Bonke, a Pentecostal family in the village in Kanyiya. I have four teenage host sisters and two young host brothers. 

My first night at my host family was in one word, rough. I couldn’t use the latrine and my room scared the hell out of me.  I called home for the first time and had my first I want to go home moment. Yes, the very first night. I had a good couple of days learning Kinyarwanda, getting acquainted to the community, and learning medical information before my second crash, which took place yesterday. I’m having some challenges facing some of the fears that are a part of everyday life in Rwanda (darkness at night, critters) and had a breaking point where I thought I was most likely going to go home.  BUT, after a few pep talks with mom, dad and Moop, I’m back on board and trying to be komera, komera (be strong, be strong).  Peace Corps has been a little rough for me so far, but I need to remember why I’m here and dageragiza (try). 

#watching the sun setting

2 comments:

  1. Komera komera Janay you can do it! Plus who am I gonna visit when I get the chance to run away from the states?!? lol. Hope everything is going a lot more smoothly.

    Ian B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JANAY! You are awesome! You got this!

    ReplyDelete